Home > Surviving Structures > Depots > Minnesota

Minnesota Depots

 A list of known surviving Great Northern depots in Minnesota

Interactive Map:

Click to see an interactive map of all known surviving depots in North Dakota.

 

STATION PHOTOS BUILT TYPE CURRENT USE LOCATION

GN MAP

RD MAP

LAST

VERIFIED

REMARKS
Ada Not available  

Brick

32'x112'

    Click for location on GN system map      
Albany Not available 1888

Wood

24'x60'

Central Minnesota Model Railway Club Relocated to Stearns County Pioneer Club Click for location on GN system map      

Alexandria

Not available

1907

Brick

32'x121'

Business

  Click for location on GN system map    

Modernized

Appleton

Not available 1885

Wood

20'x73'

BNSF MOW

  Click for location on GN system map      

Argyle

Not available 1881

Wood

24'x61'

    Click for location on GN system map      

Askov

Not available

1894

Wood

24'x60'

Pine County Historical Society Museum

  Click for location on GN system map      
Atwater Not available 1912

Wood

30'x96'

City Office Building Relocated Click for location on GN system map      
Bagley Not available 1888

Wood

24'x72'

    Click for location on GN system map     Sided

Baker

Click for larger image Click for larger image 1900

Wood

24'x48'

Western Minnesota Steam Threshers Reunion grounds.

Relocated to Rollag

Click for location on GN system map   July 2005  
Photos taken September 2, 2002 by Bill Sornsin

Barnesville

Not available 1906

Brick

32'x66'

    Click for location on GN system map    

Modified

Bemidji

Not available

1898

Brick

32'x217'

Beltrami County History Center

Minnesota Ave

Click for location on GN system map    

Beltrami

County

Historical

Society

Breckenridge

Click for larger image Click for larger image

1901

Brick

32'x121'

Used by the Red River Valley & Western Railroad

  Click for location on GN system map   Sept 2005

Great Northern herald is still visible above the bay window.

Photos taken July 13, 2002 by Darrin Ceason

Bruno

Not available 1913

Wood

30'x76'

Museum

Relocated to Sandstone

Click for location on GN system map    

In town park on the south edge of town.

Calumet

Not available 1909

Wood

30'x48'

Business / Museum

Relocated in town

Click for location on GN system map      

Cass Lake

Not available 1914

Wood

30'x112'

    Click for location on GN system map      

Chokio

Not available 1896

Wood

25'6"x

50'4"

BNSF

  Click for location on GN system map      

Clara City

Not available 1909

Wood

30'x76'

    Click for location on GN system map      
Climax Not available 1895

Wood

30'x60'

  Moved to farm 3 mi. south and 1 mi. west of town Click for location on GN system map   March 2004 Poor condition

Cokato

Dassel Depot   1913

Wood

30'x96'

Old Depot Railroad Museum

Moved to 651 West Highway 12 in Dassel

Click for location on GN system map    

Renamed Dassel

Photo taken July 14, 2001

Comstock

Not available 1890

Wood

24'x69'

    Click for location on GN system map    

Sided and modernized

Cottonwood

Click for larger image   1888

Wood, two story

24'x72'

  Moved about 1/4 N of its original location and oriented E/W as opposed to NE/SW Click for location on GN system map   July 2005 Second story removed. Owned by the city of
Cottonwood.
Photo taken by Jeff Gniffke

Dalton

Not available 1893

Wood

20'6"

x49'

Museum

Relocated to Lake Region Pioneer Threshermen's Association grounds

Click for location on GN system map      
Duluth Not available 1892

Stone / Brick

St. Louis County Heritage and Arts Center 506 W Michigan St Click for location on GN system map     Added-on to.
Eldred Not available 1904 Wood 30'x48'   Relocated to farm just outside of town Click for location on GN system map   March 2004  

Erskine

Not available 1894

Wood

24'x60'

    Click for location on GN system map    

Sided

Fergus Falls

Not available 1897

Brick

28'x201'

Rail America   Click for location on GN system map      
Foreston Not available   Wood Residence Relocated to Milaca Click for location on GN system map      

Glyndon

Not available 1889

Wood

43'x53'

Museum

Relocated to town park

Click for location on GN system map      

Granite Falls

Not available 1887

Wood, two story

24'x56'

Office

  Click for location on GN system map    

Sided

Greenbush Not available       Relocated to Pelan Pioneer Park Click for location on GN system map     Restored. From Don Wicklund farm.
Green Valley Click for larger image   1902 Wood 24'x48' Storage Moved to a farm 3.5 to 4 miles SE of Green Valley Click for location on GN system map      
Photo taken by Jeff Gniffke

Hanley Falls

Not available 1895

Wood

24'x60'

    Click for location on GN system map      

Hibbing

Not available

1903

Wood, two story

22'x80'

 

 

Click for location on GN system map    

 

Hills

Not available

1895

Wood

18'x42'

 

Relocated to business district

Click for location on GN system map    

 

 
Humboldt Not available   Wood, two story 24'x40'   Moved to north of Hallock on Highway 1 and County Rd 4 Click for location on GN system map   March 2004  
Hutchinson Click for larger image Click for larger image 1886

Wood

24'x100'

To be turned into a museum.   Click for location on GN system map   May 2005 Depot is currently undergoing restoration.

Photos taken by David Zachmeyer 

September 7, 2002

Kandiyohi Click for larger image Click for larger image 1900

Wood

24'x48'

Kandiyohi County Historical Society Moved to Willmar Click for location on GN system map   July 2005 Restored 
Photos taken July 14, 2001

Kennedy

Not available  

Wood

24'x60'

 

Relocated

Click for location on GN system map      
Litchfield Click for larger image Click for larger image  

Wood

    Click for location on GN system map     Sided. Depot originally from Benson, MN. (?)
Photos taken July 2001 by Lindsay Korst

Manley

Not available

1895

Wood, two story

18'x42'

Storage

Moved to farm

Click for location on GN system map    

GN / CSt.PM&O depot.

Marshall

Click for larger image  

1903

Brick

32'x150'

BNSF

  Click for location on GN system map   July 2005

 

Photo taken by Jeff Gniffke

Maynard

Not available 1890

Wood

24'x48'

Boy Scouts

Relocated to park, west end of town

Click for location on GN system map      

Middle River

Not available 1904

Wood

30'x48'

 

Relocated

Click for location on GN system map      

Milaca

Not available   Brick

 

  Click for location on GN system map      

Moorhead

Not available

1896

Stone

30'x74'

Museum

 

Click for location on GN system map    

 

Mora

Not available  

Brick / Stucco

Business

On site

Click for location on GN system map    

Modified

Morris

Not available

1898

Brick

29'x136'

BNSF MOW

On site

Click for location on GN system map      
Mound Click for larger image Click for larger image 1915

Wood

24'x60'

Community Center

Relocated to a park on the lake. Click for location on GN system map     Sided
Photos taken July 17, 2001

Northcote

Not available 1885

Wood

24'x60'

Private (Dunn)

Relocated across Rt 75

Click for location on GN system map   March 2004

Modified

Noyes

Not available

 

Wood

30'x137'

BNSF

  Click for location on GN system map   March 2004 Soo/GN 
Paynesville Not available 1890

Wood

24'x60'

    Click for location on GN system map     Used as cottage on Rice Lake
Princeton Not available 1903

Brick, 1.5 story

32'x200'

Museum 10th Ave and First St Click for location on GN system map      

Richmond

Not available 1890

Wood

24'x64'

 

Relocated

Click for location on GN system map    

Modified

Rothsay

Not available 1879

Wood

30'x60'

Business

  Click for location on GN system map      

Rustad

Click to enlarge Click to enlarge  

Wood

Storage

Relocated to 4284 14th St S, Moorhead Click for location on GN system map   Sept 2005  
Photos taken September 16, 2005

Sandstone

Not available

1895

Wood

24'x96'

Private

Relocated

Click for location on GN system map      

St. Cloud

Click for larger image Click for larger image

1899

Brick / Stone

34'x148'

BNSF MOW facility

1715 Breckenridge Ave

Click for location on GN system map   Sept 2005  
Photos taken July 14, 2001

St. Paul

Union Depot

(S.P.U.D.)

Click for larger image Click for larger image 1920

Stone

Head house: Stores and restaurants

 

Concourse:

US Postal Service

  Click for location on GN system map   Sept 2005

The third picture shows the support structure of the former platforms. REA and postal traffic was handled below it.

More...

Photos taken July 16, 2001

Sauk Centre Not available 1892

Wood

99'x27'

    Click for location on GN system map    

Sided and modernized

Spicer Not available 1890

Wood

24'x60'

Business Relocated across road. Click for location on GN system map      

Spring Park

Not available 1900

Wood

24'x48'

Railroad

  Click for location on GN system map    

Sided

Thief River Falls

Not available 1885

Wood

24'x108'

 

Relocated to fairgrounds

Click for location on GN system map      

Wayzata

Click for larger image Click for larger image

1906

Wood / Stucco

30'x64'

Wayzata Historical Society & Greater Wayzata Area Chamber of Commerce

402 E Lake St.

Click for location on GN system map   July 2003

On the north shore of Lake Minnetonka.

More...

Photos taken July 17, 2001 and July 17, 2003

Willmar Click for larger image Click for larger image  

Brick

BNSF yard office   Click for location on GN system map      

More...

Photos taken July 14, 2001

Wolverton

Not available 1899

Wood

24'x48'

   

Click for location on GN system map

 

 

 

Additions and/or corrections are welcome. Please use 'Contact' button below. Copyright 2005 Ben Ringnalda